General strengths and weaknesses do not exist. Some skill that are vital for a role of a manager, will be completely irrelevant for a good teacher. You should choose for your interview answer a strength that really matters in teaching, and a weakness that is not that important for this particular job.
Strengths to choose from:
- communication and social skills
- patience, responsibility, tolerance
- ability to solve conflicts, high level of emotional intelligence
- creativity and enthusiasm for the job and the students
- ability to explain things in a simple way
- ability to connect with children on a personal level
Weaknesses to choose from
To say that you are over-friendly with children sometimes is a typical but good answer.
Other good option is choosing a subject you do not like to teach very much, for example Math, or a subject you struggle with a little.
If you decide to take this route, you should not forget to elaborate on your answer, saying that you always try your best in every lesson, regardless of the subject you happen to be teaching. Your attitude is the most important thing for the interviewers.
I have good listening skills, and I believe to understand the emotions and problems of children nicely. Benefiting from this ability, I was able to connect with the children other people could not connect with. From my weaknesses, I would mention computer skills. I need to improve on them, and I attend evening classes to do so.
People call me creative, becasue I always come with new ideas. Children are rarely bored with me in the classroom, as I always try to make the lessons engaging and interesting for them. But I do not like to teach Math, and I know I could do it better. That is something I want to work on in my career–to improve on teaching Math.
Next Interview Questions:
- Do you think we should treat students equally?
- Why do you want to become an elementary teacher?
- Can you name the main problems teachers face nowadays?
- What is your opinion on information technology in class?
(Check the homepage for the entire list of questions)